This is the audio version of The Reason Livestream, which takes place every Thursday at 1 p.m. Eastern.
Our topic was the release of and reaction to the Durham report, an investigation into the FBI’s probe of possible collusion between former President Donald Trump’s campaign and Russian government actors during the 2016 election. Our guest was Eli Lake, host of the Re-Education podcast and a contributor to Commentary and The New York Sun.
“If the Durham report shows anything, it is that the FBI leadership bent over backward to protect [Hillary] Clinton’s campaign while launching a full investigation into [Donald] Trump’s campaign on the thinnest of pretexts,” he wrote in a recent article for The Free Press.
Lake says the 306-page report from special counsel John Durham, released to the public on May 15, is a “black eye for the FBI,” which he says was sloppy, inconsistent, and possibly “helped inject what may have been Russian disinformation into the American political discourse.”
Related episodes and links:
- “Should Anyone Be Offended by Kanye West? Live With Eli Lake”
- “Jacob Siegel: ‘Disinformation’ Is the Hoax of the Century”
- “Beverly Gage: The Dark Truth About J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI”
- “From Russiagate to the MyPillow Guy, Let’s Stop With Electoral Conspiracy Theories”
- “How the United States Can—And Cannot—Help Iranian Protesters”
“The Deep State’s ‘Political Assassination’ of Michael Flynn Was an Epic Abuse of Power”
- BetterHelp. When you’re at your best, you can do great things. But sometimes life gets you bogged down, and you may feel overwhelmed or like you’re not showing up in the way that you want to. Working with a therapist can help you get closer to the best version of you—because when you feel empowered, you’re more prepared to take on everything life throws at you. If you’re thinking of giving therapy a try, BetterHelp is a great option. It’s convenient, flexible, affordable, and entirely online. Just fill out a brief questionnaire to get matched with a licensed therapist, and switch therapists anytime for no additional charge. If you want to live a more empowered life, therapy can get you there. Visit BetterHelp.com/TRI today to get 10 percent off your first month.
- The Reason Speakeasy. The Reason Speakeasy is a monthly, unscripted conversation in New York City with outspoken defenders of free thinking and heterodoxy. It doubles as a live taping of The Reason Interview podcast and always provides a great evening of camaraderie and conversation about cutting-edge topics and ideas. On June 5, Nick Gillespie talks with Fox News contributor Kat Timpf about her bestselling book, You Can’t Joke About That: Why Everything Is Funny, Nothing Is Sacred, and We’re All in This Together. Tickets are $10—which includes beer, wine, soda, food, and plenty of time to talk about politics, culture, and ideas in one of the coolest settings in midtown Manhattan. For details, go here.
The post Eli Lake: Trump, Russiagate, and the End of FBI Credibility appeared first on Reason.com.